Established in 1980, the CENTRE is a non-profit organisation based in the Ottawa-Gatineau region, dedicated to promoting and teaching safe sailing techniques. Our main program is at Lake Deschênes, part of the Ottawa River, where we operate two boats, 7.6 m (25 ft) and 8.8 m (29 ft) in length, from the Aylmer Marina. We also organise live-aboard sailing weeks on chartered boats in Georgian Bay and elsewhere.
The CENTRE is open to adults of all ages, at any level of sailing experience. Programs are offered in French and English.
The CENTRE’s objectives are to:
- Teach sailing to members at any level of experience
- Communicate a passion for sailing
- Promote safe, responsible navigation including life on board
- Provide an opportunity to experience sailing at a reasonable price
- Promote and facilitate volunteer work and participation
- Discover, protect and respect the environment
Training provided by the Centre allows members to develop their sailing abilities at their own speed.
The CENTRE’s operations depend entirely by volunteer members, for example::
- our skippers, who lead outings on our boats
- our instructors
- members of our various committees
- all those who who contribute to boat maintenance, organising activities etc